Thursday, March 19, 2009

Missed Connections

So I was at Nikol's apartment tonight and we were talking to her sister Page about the different websites and stuff which take up all our time. I said that I spent a lot of time messing around on Craig's List looking at random stuff like cars, furniture, and all the free stuff they have posted.

Page said that another thing that would suck up my time was the "personals" section of Craig's List. Under the personals there is a link to "Missed Connections." It is random things that people post on Craig's List when they see somebody they think is cute, beautiful, handsome, doing something dumb, etc.

The things that people post are so funny/sweet. Like, seeing a cute girl in the library while you're studying. Or noticing the hot guy grocery shopping at Ralph's. Just random people noticing other random people and really feeling a connection.

It really makes you wonder what people notice about you. Like, has somebody in your English class wanted to talk to you but never got the guts to go up and say something? Has somebody ever seen you walking to your car in the parking lot and thought you were absolutely beautiful but didn't want to seem like a creeper by asking for your number? Things like that. Maybe it's a little weird to think about the fact that other people actually notice us doing every day things, but they really do.

The smile somebody gives you from the next car over at a stop light can make your day. The cute girl handing you your burger at McDonalds can make you feel happy. The hot guy buying his Friday night 30 pack at the grocery store can make you smile.

Maybe there is something to be said for being spontaneous and talking to that random person on the street. If you don't, maybe you've just passed up the person who could make you the happiest you've ever been or ever will be.

Even if you're not looking for somebody to date or whatever, it's still nice to know that other people notice you. I mean, don't we all want to be noticed? Don't we all want to know that somebody is thinking about us? I don't think the point of that section on Craig's list is supposed to be for people who are looking for an honest to God relationship.. I think it's more of a way to let somebody know you're thinking about them. A nice gesture.

There's also something to be said for dressing a little nicer when leaving the house/apartment/dorm rom. I mean, I'm notorious for doing nothing with my hair in the morning, throwing on jeans and a t-shirt, a little mascara, and heading out the door. But what if I, and every other person who does that same thing, were to change that? Who would notice us?

Don't get me wrong, I love my white t-shirts, blue jeans, and flip flops... but what if I tried a little harder? Who would notice me? Who would think I was beautiful?

Not all of us were blessed enough to have naturally good looks. Not all of us can walk out of the house wearing whatever we want and still get noticed by every person we pass by.

Craig's List, however, offers a place for ordinary people to post little things they've noticed about other ordinary people. Even if the posts aren't about you, it's still nice to know that those things run through people's minds. We all know we think them, why not write them down to share with others? You might make somebody's day... like mine.

Who knows, maybe one day there will be a post about me or you.

Maybe I'll try a little harder just to see what happens....

I'm not kidding. Go check it out. Missed Connections on Craig's List. You never know, somebody could be noticing all the wonderful little things about you.

1 comment:

Nikol Schiller said...

whatever. you're beautiful all the time.

i notice. =)