Wednesday, December 30, 2009

can I get that in writing?

For the past few hours I have been watching TV and looking at People.com's "Best of 2009" lists. One of the things I stumbled upon was a picture of Megan Fox and the tattoo she has on her shoulder. I am oddly fascinated by tattoos and their meanings, and this girl has a lot! Now, I'm not a huge fan of Megan Fox. I think she is kinda boring and, sure, she's pretty, but I thought that was all she had going for her. Even then, sometimes I don't think she is that attractive because she tries to hard.

When I searched for her tattoos on Google, I found a few different sites that talked about the meaning of each of her tattoos. I thought it was fascinating! Maybe I'm weird, but I really think that tattoos are cool if they have the right meaning behind them. Although the sites I looked at were all speculation and nobody actually knows what the meanings are, I liked two of the quotes that she has and it seems as though there is more to this girl than I originally thought.

"We will all laugh at gilded butterflies"

 According to my online research, this tattoo is a quote from Shakespeare's "King Lear" when he finds out that his daughters have betrayed him. One of the best explanations I've found for this tattoo is that a gilded butterfly only gives the appearance of gold, but is not actually gold. It is no longer useful and it loses its natural beauty. If you are smart enough (as, I suppose, King Lear was... although I have never read the play and am not a big Shakespeare buff), you will realize that appearances aren't everything and that sometimes there is much more than outer beauty (or much less!). For those of us who are smart enough to figure that out, I think it is justified to laugh at those who still believe that appearances of gold and beauty are everything.

Another person who posted their opinion on a blog called "Useless Things" believes that the quote means "I search for authenticity" which is a pretty awesome analysis if I do say so myself. The person goes into a deep analysis about the correlation with the Marilyn Monroe tattoo on one of Fox's arms, but I won't bore you with that. I do believe that the search for authenticity in Fox's line of business is extremely important. Authenticity is something that everybody should strive for, no matter who you are or what you do with your life. Very deep Megan Fox, very deep. (Not to mention that I just really like the way the quote is phrased, very poetic. Thank you William Shakespeare.)

 "There once was a little girl who never knew love until a boy broke her heart"

With this one, I didn't find anything too interesting about this, except that I like the quote. Apparently it is part of a poem that she wrote, and eventually got tattooed on herself. It is so true, though! You never know your full ability to love somebody until they are gone. A broken heart is the hardest way to figure out how much someone means to you. I'm not sure the meaning behind this quote for Fox, but I know that for me it would express the pain of being hurt so bad by someone I loved, but joy and happiness at the knowledge that I am able to love that much at all.

I have always loved tattoos with script, as long as the script is something insightful and meaningful to the person with the tattoo. I want one so bad, but I have no idea what or where I would get! I don't want to get one just for the sake of having a tattoo. I have some friends with pretty sweet tattoos, but nothing has come to mind for myself yet, so until then I will wait.

According to Fox, every time she gets a tattoo it's a little "Fuck You" to everybody who tells her not to.... interesting.

No comments: