Thursday, March 31, 2011

ten years ago

Ten years ago today my dad's sister - my amazing Aunt Judy - passed away from cancer. She was a wonderful, creative, and loving woman and I was devastated by her passing. I still am.

She lived across the country so we only saw her once or twice a year when we went to visit her or she came out here to visit us, but those visits were full of exciting adventures and parties. Tea parties, beanie baby parties, scavenger hunts, pool parties, picnics - you name it, she made it incredible. She couldn't have children of her own so she treated her nieces like princesses. She would have been a wonderful mother - her child would have been the luckiest kid in the entire world.

The day I found out she passed away was one of the worst days in my life (probably the worst). Her funeral was even worse. The church was packed - the pews were completely full and there were people crowded in the back, standing room only. People had wonderfully kind words to say. I was a mess.

I miss her every single day. Although I don't cry about it as much anymore, I do think about her all the time. I think about what our relationship would be like now if she was still around. I think of the ways she would influence my life if I was still able to talk to her an visit her.

I wish I had a photo of her that I could post on here, but all of my pictures of her are hard copies - she passed away before the development of digital cameras.

Ten years ago today the world became a little bit worse because it lost one of the most amazing people to have ever walked its streets. Even though the world is a little worse because of her loss, those who knew her are better people because of her presence in our lives.

You would have loved my Aunt Judy.

What I wouldn't give for one more tea party with her. One more conversation. One more hug. 

No comments: